[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Changes since last version of comp.mail.mime FAQ

This posting consists of diffs between the MIME FAQ for September,
1995 and the most recently posted version for January, 1996.

[ Part 0 ]

No changes.

[ Part I ]

*** -	Mon Jan  1 15:53:34 1996
--- mime1	Mon Jan  1 15:51:40 1996
***************
*** 13,28 ****

  Archive-Name: mail/mime-faq/part1
! Version: $Id: mime1,v 3.14 1995/09/03 06:14:01 jsweet Rel $
  Posting-Frequency: monthly

- --
  comp.mail.mime frequently asked questions list (FAQ) (1/3)
  Part 1: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about MIME
- ~~~~~~
  --

  Overview
--- 13,26 ----

  Archive-Name: mail/mime-faq/part1
! Version: $Id: mime1,v 3.14 1995/09/03 06:14:01 jsweet Rel jsweet $
  Posting-Frequency: monthly

  comp.mail.mime frequently asked questions list (FAQ) (1/3)
  Part 1: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about MIME
  --

  Overview
***************
*** 41,73 ****
  marked with '+'.

  Contents
! ~~~~~~~~
  Part 1: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about MIME (this file)
    1)     Introduction
    1.1)   Authorship
    1.2)   Conventions
! ! 1.3)   Where can I get the comp.mail.mime FAQ?

    2)     What is MIME?
    2.1)   Introduction
    2.2)   MIME features that may or may not be present
!   2.3)   Help!  I got a message in MIME format--how do I decode it?
! ! 2.4)   Further information
    2.5)   MIME glossary
!   2.6)   Newsgroups and mailing lists

    3)     Miscellaneous questions
    3.1)   What can I use to display MIME messages?
    3.2)   What's "text/enriched"?
!   3.3)   What about security issues?
    3.4)   So, does MIME introduce any new security problems?
!   3.5)   What about a group 3 facsimile encoding?
    3.6)   Should I always use external body parts to save space?
    3.7)   What mail servers can I reference?
    3.8)   Can I interwork between MIME and X.400?
    3.9)   Why does MIME define base64 instead of using uuencode?
    3.10)  How can I use uuencode with MIME?

    4)     MIME information available from the Internet
    4.1)   Anonymous FTP
--- 39,73 ----
  marked with '+'.

  Contents
! --------
[...]

+ + 3.11)  Does Microsoft Mail support MIME?
+ + 3.12)  Can I do MIME on a (pick one) PC/Macintosh/Envoy/Whatever?

    4)     MIME information available from the Internet
    4.1)   Anonymous FTP
***************
*** 78,84 ****
    5)     Published books and articles

    6)     MIME based relays for commercial mail services
!   6.1)   Large national or international providers
    6.1.1) ATTMAIL
    6.1.2) CompuServe
    6.1.3) RadioMail
--- 78,84 ----
    5)     Published books and articles

    6)     MIME based relays for commercial mail services
! ! 6.1)   Large national or international providers
    6.1.1) ATTMAIL
    6.1.2) CompuServe
    6.1.3) RadioMail
***************
*** 86,100 ****

  Part 2: MIME products (posted separately)
  =====================
!   7)     Freely available MIME packages
! ! 7.1)   Libraries and Patches
! ! 7.2)   Conversion tools and extension packages
  ! 7.3)   Mail user agents and transport systems

  ! 8)     Commercial MIME packages

    9)     Packages for MIME in USENET
!   9.1)   Introduction
    9.2)   News readers and transports with MIME support

  Part 3: Advanced topics (posted separately)
--- 86,100 ----

  Part 2: MIME products (posted separately)
  =====================
! ! 7)     Freely available MIME packages
!   7.1)   Libraries and Patches
!   7.2)   Conversion tools and extension packages
  ! 7.3)   Mail user agents and transport systems

  ! 8)     Commercial MIME packages

    9)     Packages for MIME in USENET
! ! 9.1)   Introduction
    9.2)   News readers and transports with MIME support

  Part 3: Advanced topics (posted separately)
***************
*** 101,109 ****
  =======================
    10)    Information
  ! 10.1)  MIME-relevant RFCs and other standards
! ! 10.2)  MIME types
  ! 10.2.1)  List of registered MIME types
!   10.2.2)  List of known unregistered MIME types
    10.3)  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) working groups

    11)    Developers' FAQs
--- 101,109 ----
  =======================
    10)    Information
  ! 10.1)  MIME-relevant RFCs and other standards
!   10.2)  MIME types
  ! 10.2.1)  List of registered MIME types
! ! 10.2.2)  List of known unregistered MIME types
    10.3)  Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) working groups

    11)    Developers' FAQs
***************
*** 115,121 ****
    11.6)  Why doesn't MIME include a mechanism for compression?
    11.7)  What's this Content-Disposition header?

! ! 12)    Acknowledgements
    13)    Permissions
  --

--- 115,121 ----
    11.6)  Why doesn't MIME include a mechanism for compression?
    11.7)  What's this Content-Disposition header?

!   12)    Acknowledgements
    13)    Permissions
  --

***************
*** 209,217 ****
     original document, the MIME FAQ maintainer probably can't fix it
     directly.

!    In particular, RFC references in the Ohio State version may still
     point to pages saying "they've been moved".  This is beyond the
!    control of the MIME FAQ maintainer.

   - If you are reading this FAQ via some fixed medium such as hardcopy
--- 209,217 ----
     original document, the MIME FAQ maintainer probably can't fix it
     directly.

!    ***In particular, RFC references in the Ohio State version may still
     point to pages saying "they've been moved".  This is beyond the
!    control of the MIME FAQ maintainer.***

   - If you are reading this FAQ via some fixed medium such as hardcopy
***************
*** 219,227 ****
     instead.

! There is also a "meta-FAQ", posted monthly, that attempts to help with
! any special problems that you may have with reading MIME messages,
! such as this one.

  --

--- 219,227 ----
     instead.

! There is also a Part 0, the "Meta-FAQ", posted monthly, that attempts
! to help with any special problems that you may have with reading MIME
! messages, such as this one.

  --

***************
*** 246,252 ****
          - other messages (reliably encapsulated)
          - tar files
          - PostScript
!         - FTPable file pointers
          - other stuff

  MIME supports not only several pre-defined types of non-textual
--- 246,252 ----
          - other messages (reliably encapsulated)
          - tar files
          - PostScript
!         - pointers to FTPable files
          - other stuff

  MIME supports not only several pre-defined types of non-textual
***************
*** 347,354 ****
  decoding a MIME message, some of which are enumerated in part 2
  of this FAQ.

! --------------------------------

  2.4) Further information

  A nice overview of the MIME specification by Mark Grand is available
--- 347,393 ----
  decoding a MIME message, some of which are enumerated in part 2
  of this FAQ.

! If you receive some content type that your mail user agent can't
! already handle, then you'll have to modify your global or personal
! mail system configuration to deal with it--if you can.  It's not
! always possible, short of spending a year of your life to write the
! required programs.  But look in the MIME FAQ to see if someone already
! has a tool or product that will decode the content type that you're
! attempting to handle.  (Also check the MIME Meta-FAQ, go
! treasure-hunting on the net, and so on.)
!
! Here your faithful MIME FAQ maintainer feels the need to rant a bit on
! the subject of poor MIME usage and concomitant MIME decoding problems.

+ MIME capability doesn't automatically confer interoperability with the
+ rest of the world.  Any random data can be mapped into MIME one way or
+ another, but some consideration needs to be given to the target
+ audiences.
+
+ Still, as Einar Stefferud likes to point out, "'Can' implies 'shall.'"
+ Platform or application-specific MIME data formats inevitably leak out
+ to the rest of the world, prompting instant FAQs: "Huh?  Now how do I
+ make my mail reader handle _this_?  And why was it sent to me?"
+
+ For creators of MIME messages, here are some preventive suggestions:
+
+   - Know how your attachments are going to be sent.  Bear in mind
+     that what's reasonable for another Macintosh/Windows/Envoy/Whatever
+     recipient isn't necessarily reasonable for the rest of the world.
+     For example, sending that Microsoft Word document as an attachment
+     might not work out as well as you think it should.
+
+   - Be somewhat conservative about content types when sending to
+     mailing lists or other public forums, or consider using
+     multipart/alternative.
+
+   - Watch charset selections and content transfer encodings.
+     For example, some commonly used character sets on Apple Macintosh
+     computers use eight bits, not the standard seven bits, and also
+     contain a few non-standard glyphs.
+
+ --------------------------------
+
  2.4) Further information

  A nice overview of the MIME specification by Mark Grand is available
***************
*** 399,407 ****
  part            a piece of a MIME message containing some data type
  PBM             an image format
  PEM             Privacy Enhanced Mail
  PostScript      a popular page description language
  RFC             request for comments; proposed or standard Internet protocols
! SMTP            Simple Mail Transport Protocol - RFC 821
  text/enriched   simple text markup language for MIME - RFC 1563
  text/simplemail another (even simpler?) text markup language
  URL             WWW uniform resource locator; access-method://host/path
--- 438,447 ----
  part            a piece of a MIME message containing some data type
  PBM             an image format
  PEM             Privacy Enhanced Mail
+ PGP             Pretty Good Privacy
  PostScript      a popular page description language
  RFC             request for comments; proposed or standard Internet protocols
! SMTP            Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - RFC 821
  text/enriched   simple text markup language for MIME - RFC 1563
  text/simplemail another (even simpler?) text markup language
  URL             WWW uniform resource locator; access-method://host/path
***************
*** 439,445 ****
     a message body containing, e.g. "send info-mime-uk 08-1993".

!  - The archive ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/usenet/comp.mail.mime stores
     articles in three formats: by subject, by article number, and by
     month.  See the README file for more information.

--- 479,485 ----
     a message body containing, e.g. "send info-mime-uk 08-1993".

!  - The archive ftp://ftp.ncd.com/pub/usenet/comp.mail.mime stores
     articles in three formats: by subject, by article number, and by
     month.  See the README file for more information.

***************
*** 500,520 ****
  Both users and administrators should be aware that ordinary Internet
  and UUCP e-mail is not secure.  No authentication, confidentiality, or
  data integrity properties are provided in SMTP, RFC 822, or MIME.
! Persons desiring any or all of those security properties in their e-mail
! should look into the use of Privacy-Enhanced Mail (PEM).  At least one
! no-cost implementation of PEM is available in the US and Canada.
! There are also a number of implementations being developed in Europe
! (hopefully these will not suffer the same restrictions on export).

! PEM will (eventually) be integrated with MIME.  See

!     draft-ietf-pem-mime-03.txt

! for the latest work on this.
!
! A system providing similar functionality to PEM implementations is
! PGP.  PGP is an implementation, not a specification, and it does not
! carry the blessing of the IETF, or any other body.  It is, however,
  available at no cost throughout the world (although its status with
  respect to certain US patents is dubious).  Caveat emptor.

--- 540,563 ----
  Both users and administrators should be aware that ordinary Internet
  and UUCP e-mail is not secure.  No authentication, confidentiality, or
  data integrity properties are provided in SMTP, RFC 822, or MIME.
! Persons desiring any or all of those security properties in their
! e-mail should look into the use of Privacy-Enhanced Mail (PEM).  Other
! forms of e-mail security, such as PGP (Pretty Good Privacy), are also
! available.

! At least one no-cost implementation of PEM is available in the US and
! Canada.  There are also a number of implementations being developed in
! Europe (hopefully these will not suffer the same restrictions on
! export).

! See also the following RFCs:
!         RFC 1421 through RFC 1424 - PEM
!         RFC 1847 - Security Multiparts for MIME
!         RFC 1848 - MIME Object Security Services

! A system providing similar functionality to PEM implementations is PGP
! PGP is an implementation, not a specification, and it does not carry
! the blessing of the IETF, or any other body.  It is, however,
  available at no cost throughout the world (although its status with
  respect to certain US patents is dubious).  Caveat emptor.

***************
*** 534,539 ****
--- 577,598 ----
  contains, among other useful information, an unflinching report
  on how PGP came to be.

+     [ Michael Elkins <elkins@aero.org> 18-Dec-1995 ]
+
+     If you are interested in joining the discussion of issues on a standard
+     for use of PGP to encrypt/sign Internet e-mail messages using MIME, you
+     may be interested in this list.  I highly encourage everyone who is
+     working on incorporating PGP into a mail client to join, even if you
+     don't participate in the discussion, since it will be the best source of
+     information about the developing proposed standard.
+
+     To join the list, send mail to
+             pgp-mime-request@lists.uchicago.edu
+     with a subject of "subscribe".
+
+     Submissions should be sent to
+             pgp-mime@lists.uchicago.edu
+
  { This section needs additional information, URLs, etc. }

  --------------------------------
***************
*** 564,579 ****

  3.5) What about a group 3 facsimile encoding?

! It is rumored that there was an attempt to include G3 FAX in the
! original MIME specification, but that it was impossible for the
! authors of the MIME specification to gain a consensus on how to encode
! the data.  So G3 FAX has been left for a future MIME implementation.
! But you can always define your own body part.

! Here are some snippets relevant to MIME and FAX.

! The MIME-MHS documents define a G3Fax body part that is conformant
! with the X.400 G3Fax definition.

      [ Stuart Lynne <sl@wimsey.com> 30-Dec-1992 ]

--- 623,638 ----

  3.5) What about a group 3 facsimile encoding?

! There is an X.400-conformant G3 facsimile type for MIME, "image/g3fax".
! The specifications are in the MIME-MHS documents.

! { What current commercial and non-commercial software packages implement
!   viewers or generators for the image/g3fax content type per se, as opposed
!   to fax image rendering for other MIME content types?  And which of these
!   interoperate with the remote printing experimental domain "TPC.INT"? }

! The early MIME specification did not include a G3 facsimile type, but
! there were some efforts along these lines anyway:

      [ Stuart Lynne <sl@wimsey.com> 30-Dec-1992 ]

***************
*** 598,605 ****
      multipart facilities, and so forth. PMDF-FAX was developed with MIME
      in mind from the outset.

! --------------------------------
!
  3.6) Should I always use external body parts to save space?

  Not necessarily.  In many cases, for example, at the ends of UUCP
--- 657,666 ----
      multipart facilities, and so forth. PMDF-FAX was developed with MIME
      in mind from the outset.

! See also: news:comp.mail.misc - "FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?"
!
! --------------------------------
!
  3.6) Should I always use external body parts to save space?

  Not necessarily.  In many cases, for example, at the ends of UUCP
***************
*** 710,715 ****
--- 771,794 ----
      could be useful.
  --

+ 3.11) Does Microsoft Mail support MIME?
+
+     [ Ned Freed <ned@sigurd.innosoft.com> 30-Nov-1995 ]
+
+     Microsoft Mail doesn't provide MIME support. Microsoft Exchange may,
+     although it isn't clear what form this support will take.
+
+     There is a variety of solutions available from various third parties.
+     I'd recommend that you peruse the MIME FAQ for this list -- it should
+     suggest several starting points.
+ --
+
+ 3.12) Can I do MIME on a (pick one) PC/Macintosh/Envoy/Whatever?
+
+ See section 2.3.
+
+ --
+
  4) MIME information available from the Internet

***************
*** 805,812 ****
   sought out, according to preference.

   One chapter of the book is devoted to MIME.

-
   - Articles and Papers

      [ Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr> 27-Oct-94 ]
--- 884,891 ----
   sought out, according to preference.

   One chapter of the book is devoted to MIME.
+

   - Articles and Papers

      [ Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr> 27-Oct-94 ]
***************
*** 830,845 ****

  6.1) Large national or international providers

! { Lots missing here.  Anyone got any info these, or any others? }
! {    America On-line                                            }
! {    Dialog                                                     }
! {    Genie                                                      }
! {    MCI Mail                                                   }
! {    Sprintmail                                                 }

!
! --------------------------------
!
  6.1.1) ATTMAIL

      [ Steve <atthelp@attmail.com> 30-Dec-1992 ]
--- 909,921 ----

  6.1) Large national or international providers

! { There's lots missing here, and this information is aging. If anyone
!   has updated information about any of the various mail service providers
!   listed here, or any others, then send 'em to the MIME FAQ Maintainer
!   address <mime-faq@ics.uci.edu>. }

! --------------------------------
!
  6.1.1) ATTMAIL

      [ Steve <atthelp@attmail.com> 30-Dec-1992 ]
***************
*** 898,911 ****
      to support them.

! { Should coordinate this with the global e-mail list that is posted to }
! { comp.mail.misc.                                                     }
!
! --------------------------------
!
  6.2) Local and regional providers

  { Any info?  Should coordinate this with e.g. the PDIAL list. }

  --
  End of Part 1
--- 974,985 ----

! --------------------------------
!
  6.2) Local and regional providers

  { Any info?  Should coordinate this with e.g. the PDIAL list. }
+

  --
  End of Part 1

[ Part II ]

*** -	Mon Jan  1 15:53:35 1996
--- mime2	Mon Jan  1 15:55:09 1996
***************
*** 13,19 ****

  Archive-Name: mail/mime-faq/part2
! Version: $Id: mime2,v 3.14 1995/09/03 06:14:01 jsweet Rel $
  Posting-Frequency: monthly

--- 13,19 ----

  Archive-Name: mail/mime-faq/part2
! Version: $Id: mime2,v 3.14 1995/09/03 06:14:01 jsweet Rel jsweet $
  Posting-Frequency: monthly

***************
*** 51,58 ****
  are discussed in section 9, although many of the packages in this
  section also deal with USENET news.

! --------------------------------

  7.1) Libraries and Patches

  Name:     c-client
--- 51,74 ----
  are discussed in section 9, although many of the packages in this
  section also deal with USENET news.

! Information for this section about MIME-capable software packages may
! be contributed by anyone, including the maintainers of the software.
! The FAQ maintainers look with favor on brief entries that are provided
! in the existing entry format, but it's fair simply to offer
! corrections or updated information.  Notifications of obsolete or
! non-working URLs are also appreciated.  Send new or updated entries to
! "mime-faq@ics.uci.edu"; posting to comp.mail.mime isn't necessarily
! sufficient.
!
! Readers should bear in mind that files whose names contain version
! numbers are often out of date by the time that you try to find them,
! so you may need to poke around in the parent directories to locate the
! latest versions.

+ See also: news:comp.mail.misc - "UNIX Email Software Survey FAQ"
+
+ --------------------------------
+
  7.1) Libraries and Patches